Testing collections using Nvidia ORCA Amazon Bistro asset


Blender 2.80 introduced the concept of Collections, replacing the earlier previously defined concepts  called layers and groups. I looked around and found a free asset called Amazon Lumberyard Bistro from the nVIDIA ORCA website that I found to be a good candidate to organize using Blender's collections.

The asset package contained two fbx files, one ascii and the other binary.

The exterior asset loaded fine using the Import FBX operator but the interior one failed. It happens that ascii FBX files are not supported by Blender's FBX importer.

Coincidentally just the day before, I had came across the following tweet that announced an MIT licensed FBX format  converter tool.

I downloaded that tool and then used it to convert the ascii FBX file to binary and then imported it into Blender.

I then started organizing part of the Bistro interior using linked collections. Linked collections let you have the same object(s) in more than one collection at a time.
 As you can see from the screenshot above,
  1. The original objects imported using FBX operator are not organized and appear as a flat hierarchy.
  2. You can see how I started organizing the imported objects in a logical manner using linked collections.
I posted my progress on Twitter and was delighted to see that it gathered some interest from the community.


I am planning to fully organize the Bistro asset using collections and then create a video tutorial for the masses.

Thank you, 
 -------------------
Satish Goda
@satishgoda

Comments

Popular Posts